Thursday, April 28, 2022

Has Technology Ruined Relationships?

 

This is a “revisit” from a post, or blog I asked about a few years ago:

(Is Technology Ruining, or Wrecking Relationships?). 

Again, the question simply is: “Has Technology Ruined Relationships?” This topic came up on a radio program, (yes, I still listen to radio) and the program I was listening to was geared to “LIKES” on Instagram, or Facebook. This apparently seems to be a sore subject with a ton of people, and I also wonder if it has something to do with today's culture?

To me, certain things are not “binary” or to clarify, “on/off, black or white, in or out, yes or no”. When it comes to comments regarding my friends, or to a subject on social media, “A LIKE” could be more or less an “analog” response. Again, to clarify “an analog response” is simply to use a scale to measure response. In this situation, to say on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the low number & 10 being the high number, anything over the number 5 is a like and anything under would be a “No response, or a thumbs down(👎)”. Also, a “Heart” (💖) would indicate “A LIKE” , or a “Thumbs-Up” (👍) thus a “Positive Response”.

It seems, (to me), that things have gotten to the point that it’s either “I hate you, or I like you” and if this sounds familiar, not only is this happening in real life, with relationships, it’s happening in politics. Just think about it, and yes, there is going to be some hypocrisy with certain things but, in some cases especially with life, not everything is black and white. Sorry, we have to take the good & the bad, or the bad & the good. There is no right or wrong, or wrong or right way to say that statement.

Of course, some person will have some thing to say, or some English literature person will be pointing out every little grammar, or grammatical error. One thing that should be clear, my approach is mathematical. In other words, 1 + 2 is equal to 3 & 2 +1 is also equal to 3. That is a fact and that is black & white from a human point of view. With that in mind, because most technical analysis is mathematical, how do you express a like or dis-like for something without it being taken out of context?

If I’m friends with someone for 20+ years and I don’t like something they posted or even something they may like, & you may hate it, does that now mean I can’t be friends with you anymore or “Like you”? How about if I’ve never met a person, we don’t event speak the same language, and I post a like for them or some subject matter that they posted. Does that now mean I’m going a friend (BFF), or I’m instantly in love with someone now that I follow them on social media? Do I just forget all of my morals or other obligations because I saw something on social media?

This whole thing just doesn’t make any sense. Should this stir up emotions, yes. Should this be a topic to have a serious discussion about, yes. Should there be a “binary response” this subject? I say no. I think as a whole,  or “Globally” this topic need to be studied & reviewed and just like in real life, (or politics) there should be a logical approach to handling technology, whether it be the upgrade to some software or the upgrade to  a social media platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment