Sunday, May 5, 2019

Questions to Autodesk Users... (Issues Again??)


Question to Autodesk Users...
We (I) recently ran through a bunch of silly but annoying issue with Autodesk’s “Autodesk Desktop App” which caused a bunch of problems. I’m not sure why, but one of the things that happened was the update changed the way “All” of my Autodesk products worked. Example… I have 4 versions of AutoCAD2018 on a “New Machine”, (computer), and yes I use all 4 versions differently. Well… the App went and did an update which changed the state of AutoCAD on all 4 versions and then “TRIED” to update & install AutoCAD2020…😐

This is not something the app should be doing without anyone’s permission. There should be a notice or prompt that notifies the user, regardless of if the user is a “Newbie, Student, or Veteran user” like myself. I’ve looked to see if there is a way to shut off automatic updates, I’m sure Autodesk has that built in, but have not found that “Check-Box” yet. I’m sure it is “Buried” some place and if they don’t have that option then “THERE IS AN ISSUE” and… I can now understand why an IT department has issues with Autodesk allowing or changing the state of a computer with their software.

To resolve this issue, I had to do a “Repair or Re-installation” using the computers Control Panels
(yes this still works in Windows10) – under the “Programs and Features” panel or dialog box. After a bunch of “restarts” and forcing the program to use the “default” state of AutoCAD (for all versions), I was able to get the program to start working properly again. I’m hoping Monday (tomorrow) I don’t have to go through all of this again.
Finally, in regards to the updates… As a beta user / tester, eventhough I have been released from my NDA with Autodesk (for the AutoCAD2020) I reserve the right to remain “Anonymous” or quite about the program. There or other users that may offer a summary or opinion about the software release. I am not against any updates or changes but I will say I am looking for “progress” or “forward movement” on software releases. Keep in mind just because we (I), am capable of using a newer software release doesn’t mean we should immediately jump to the new release. Especially when you are working with several entities or companies on an ongoing project. 

Autodesk needs to keep this in mind... They often say to us beta uses or testers “do not use or test” on a production project and the same motto should apply to software updates for companies or a group of entities are working on a continuing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment