Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Is There a Way to Update REVIT Files That Have AutoCAD Blocks?

1st thing... It's been awhile and to anyone that really follows the post, "thanks for hanging in there with me". This was a bad year for me (2017) and I hope to come back in 2018, with new and fresh questions.

So to get started here I will ask for some help...
Does anyone here reviewing the blog use REVIT & if so, are you able to add “Smart Information”?
I posted this question on the regular Autodesk Forums (in AutoCAD & Revit) regarding the use of AutoCAD blocks inside of REVIT
(https://forums.autodesk.com/…/how-to-update-re…/td-p/7801511). I guess the big question is, has Autodesk enabled a way to update REVIT files with AutoCAD Blocks / Parts, so that information (like attributes) can be read appended or accounted for?
In the past (when I 1st learned REVIT) I was told “EVERY BLOCK CREATED IN AUTOCAD” will need to redone in REVIT…   I have since found out this is not true, in fact I actually found out many users (like myself), that knew how to create AutoCAD files in 3D, were able to simply “Import, or Insert” their blocks, or parts into REVIT, or NAVISWORKS so they had a “Virtual Place Holder” in the 3D Model. That being said, the only reason(s) for wanting to create and actual part in REVIT is to add “smarts” (Data) to a part / family (similar to adding attributes to an AutoCAD block), and for the use of parametric part sizing, which can be done with other flavors of AutoCAD, like Mechanical, or Architectural Desktop…
So to get back to the topic… if there is a way to update a REVIT file that contains AutoCAD blocks, please point me in the right direction.
Likewise in regards to my use of 3D blocks or REVIT families… meaning if I am incorrect in the way I’ve been using the software please enlighten me.
BTW… I do plan on updating my “skill-set” with a class or two however, I would hate to go or pay for a new class only to find out I know just as much or more as the person teaching.
Thanks in advance for any help or information,

No comments:

Post a Comment